Crafters of all ages will enjoy learning how to make gorgeous Rainbow Heart Suncatchers with tissue paper and glue, perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Read on for the full tutorial and free printable heart template.
Rainbow Heart Suncatchers
Our kitchen boasts a lovely bay window that overlooks the backyard. It’s perfect for bird watching, checking the weather, and displaying homemade suncatchers.
Bright Rainbow Heart Suncatchers are easy for kids to create in 5 simple steps. Don’t they glow beautifully in the afternoon sunlight?
To Make this Craft You Will Need
- free printable heart template
- white cardstock
- tissue paper (cut into 1″ x 1″ squares)
- foam paint brushes
- clear sheet protectors (1)
- Mod Podge
1. After gathering supplies, invite your child to cut small squares of tissue paper. While your child is working on that, print the heart template on white cardstock.
2. After you’ve collected enough tissue paper squares, invite kids to spread a thick layer of Mod Podge over their sheet of plastic.
Press the tissue paper squares into the Mod Podge, then use the paintbrush to découpage the tissue paper squares directly onto the plastic. This basically means that in addition to the layer or Mod Podge below the tissue paper, you will paint a second on top of the tissue paper squares.
3. While the plastic sheet is drying, invite your child to cut out the heart template.
Tip: Mod Podge can get sticky! Keep wet wipes or damp paper towels nearby for your child to use.
4. Gently bend the plastic sheet and peel the découpaged tissue paper away from it.
5. Invite your child to trace a heart onto the tissue paper, then use scissors to cut it out.
I attached the suncatchers to our window with double-sided tape. They make me smile, and I hope they will make you smile too!
Save This Craft
More Heart Crafts for Kids
Click the images below to view more heart crafts, simply perfect for Valentine’s Day!