Hello! Welcome to Fireflies and Mud Pies. I’m Melissa Lennig, the craft designer, author, and photographer behind this award-winning kids craft and activity website.
No matter how you found yourself here—social media, Google search, Pinterest, or a friend’s recommendation—I want you to know that I’m grateful you’re here. And I know you’re here for a reason:
- You believe it’s the simple things that make childhood magical.
- You wish to develop your child’s creativity and love for nature.
- You want a connected, thriving, and happy family.
I want those things too!
But here’s the thing: simple days and a thriving family don’t just happen. Like all good things, they take effort, mindfulness, and persistence. I want to grow with you on your parenting journey. That’s why I started Fireflies and Mud Pies! Together we will:
- Connect with our kids through simple crafts and activities.
- Learn to filter unnecessary noise so we can enjoy more peaceful days.
- Love, play, and laugh more with family and friends.
All the while, growing and learning from our children and each other.
I live with my husband, kids, and yellow lab in upstate New York. When I’m not working, you can find me hiking, enjoying yoga class, knitting on my back deck, gardening, feeding birds, coddling houseplants, taking pictures, or enjoying a Netflix binge.
I opened Fireflies and Mud Pies eleven years ago as a way to connect with out-of-state family. At the time, my boys were just two and four years old! Drawing on my experiences as an Outdoor Educator and Elementary School Counselor, easy crafts, nature play, and sensory activities became the roots of Fireflies and Mud Pies.
What You’ll Find on Fireflies and Mud Pies
- Original, low-cost crafts. All crafts and craft templates are designed and tested in my home studio. I work hard to create crafts that are unique, low-cost, engaging, and fun!
- Activities for all ages and abilities. Our activities and crafts can be easily modified to suit a wide range of ages and abilities so you can empower your child to express their creativity while developing fine and gross motor skills.
- Recipes, parenting tips, and more! From kid-approved recipes to teaching your child how to ride a bike, I love to share my passions and interests outside of crafting.
- Supportive community. Fireflies and Mud Pies hosts an online community of over 700,000 parents, grandparents, educators, and caregivers. Join us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Several years ago, I wrote and photographed an outdoor activity book for kids called Sticks and Stones: A Kid’s Guide to Building and Creating in the Great Outdoors. Inside you will find over 30 creative and fun outdoor building, engineering, and art ideas for kids. This book was a labor of love and I’m very proud to share it with you!
Sticks and Stones is available on Amazon or wherever books are sold.
From popsicle sticks to pine cones, I love to craft with a variety of materials. Browse our popular kids crafts and activities below.
Welcome spring’s sunshine and warmth by using our free printable butterfly template to make colorful Rainbow Butterfly Suncatchers.
Squirt Gun Painting
Bust summer boredom at home, school, or camp with Squirt Gun Painting, an amazing art experience for kids of all ages.
How to Make Glitter Jars
Everything you need to know to make and use DIY glitter jars; a beautiful, calming, and easy mindfulness activity for kids.
Our recipe uses just three simple ingredients and will attract a wide variety of birds to the backyard. They are so much fun to make!
Toilet Paper Roll Bird Feeder
Your local wild birds will surely thank you for taking the time to make a Toilet Paper Roll Bird Feeder.
Christmas Tree Craft
Kids will love making this easy paper Christmas Tree Craft. This holiday art project will be a special keepsake for years to come!
Do you have a question or wish to work with me? Please contact me here.