These mocha cupcakes are so easy and delicious. Topped with rich homemade buttercream, they are the perfect sweet indulgence for coffee and chocolate lovers!
How to Make Mocha Cupcakes
When I was a senior in college, my Mom gave me a book about semi-homemade baking. I loved the concept—simply tweak and doctor prepared convenience food—to create satisfying, semi-homemade desserts! It was simple and budget-friendly.
These easy mocha cupcakes, prepared from a packaged milk chocolate cake mix and topped with rich, homemade coffee buttercream, taste divine.
How Do I Make Homemade Buttercream?
The truth is, I often cheat when I bake cakes by using a high-quality boxed cake mix. But there is just no cheating when it comes to soft, creamy, homemade buttercream.
To make coffee buttercream, I replaced the milk with 3 tablespoons of prepared instant coffee. I left the vanilla because I favor vanilla lattes. 🙂
Related: How to Make Vanilla Extract
Can You Freeze Frosted Cupcakes?
Freezing extra cupcakes is an easy, delicious way to be ready for unexpected guests or a sneaky snack attack! To freeze frosted cupcakes, simply place frosted cupcakes in a shallow container then place them in the freezer. When the frosting is frozen, individually wrap each cupcake in plastic wrap.
When you are ready to defrost your cupcakes, take them out of the freezer and remove the plastic wrap. Allow the cupcakes to defrost on the counter.
These caffeinated cupcakes are guaranteed to be a hit wherever you bring them. Perfect for work, home, and parties, this recipe is delicious, easy, and fun!
If You Like This Mocha Cupcake Recipe, Try These Other Desserts:
- 1 box milk chocolate cake mix
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 ounces milk
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions, replacing the water with prepared instant coffee. Bake as directed, then allow them to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, dissolve one rounded teaspoon of instant coffee in 6 fl oz of milk.
- Cream 1 stick of unsalted butter with 3 cups of powdered sugar.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons of the coffee mixture until a creamy frosting has formed.
- Swirl the sweet coffee frosting onto the cupcakes using a Wilton 2D tip.