Inside: Learn how to make a rustic pine cone pumpkin with pine cones, sticks, and naturally wired wire. This easy fall nature craft is perfect for kids of all ages.
Perfectly primitive and pretty for fall, simple materials make this Pine Cone Pumpkin craft perfect for home or school.
Easy Pine Cone Pumpkin Craft for Kids
October is nearly over, but I can’t resist sneaking in one more pumpkin craft before moving onto winter holidays. These adorable pine cone pumpkins, created by my 9-year-old, look stunning on our fireplace mantle.
We enjoyed collecting our pine cones outside, but this time of year, pine cones are easy to find in craft stores.
Craft Supplies Needed for Pine Cone Pumpkin Craft
Directions for Pine Cone Pumpkin Craft
1. After gathering supplies, invite kids to paint their pine cones orange. We didn’t worry about fully covering the pine cones. The bits of brown under the paint give it a darling, rustic look!
2. As the orange paint is drying, invite kids to break sticks into 3–5-inch pieces. When they are finished, they can paint their sticks green.
3. Use the wire cutters to cut 4–5-inch pieces of naturally wired wire. Invite kids to paint the wire. When it is dry, show them how to wrap it around their finger, a stick, or a pencil to curl it.
4. When all of the pieces are dry, invite kids to press their stick into the pine cone. We did not use glue, but a squeeze of hot glue may be added to help secure the stick to the pine cone.
5. When the stick is secure, press the naturally wired wire into the pine cone to make a vine. If desired, secure it with a dot of hot glue.
Aren’t they pretty? Don’t forget to make some for teachers and neighbors!
Save This Craft
Don’t forget to save this craft on Pinterest for later! Be sure you are following along with Fireflies and Mud Pies here.
More Fall Pine Cone Crafts for Kids
Creepy or cute? This pine cone spider craft is a little of both, making it perfect for Halloween!
Perfect for imaginative play, this colorful fall pine cone tree is so much fun for kids to make!
Pine cone apples are fun for kids to make at home or school!