Inside: Looking for an easy Valentine’s Day craft for kids? Colorful and fun Heart Buddies, made from our free template and basic craft supplies, are perfect for home or school.
My 8-year-old needs to fidget when he’s learning. Moving his fingers helps him focus and though it may not look like he’s paying attention, he truly is.
Typically he fidgets with putty, kinetic sand, or doodles dragons in his sketchbook, but today he created adorable Heart Buddies for Valentine’s Day while listening to me read about medieval Europe. (Pipe cleaners are great fidgets, so these little guys are perfect for wiggly kids!)
Heart Buddies Easy Valentine’s Day Craft for Kids
This easy craft is tons of fun! Kids can create their Heart Buddies in a wild variety of colors, then twist the pipe cleaners together to make it look like they are all holding hands.
Hang them on bulletin boards, calendars, and walls!
This craft includes 2 different templates, one which will allow kids to turn their Heart Buddy into a one-of-a-kind Valentine for Valentine’s Day! Download your free printable from the supply list below.
To Make This Heart Craft You Will Need
- Heart Buddies template
- Washable paint, markers, crayons, or crayons
- Paintbrushes (if using paint)
- Single hole punch
- Pipe cleaners (2 per Heart Buddy)
- Wiggly eyes (25 mm)or sticker eyes
- Black marker
- Tacky craft glue
Directions for Heart Buddies Craft
1. Print one template per child on white cardstock. Be sure to have “actual size” checked in your printer menu.
2. Invite your child to paint or color the hearts on their printable.
3. Cut out the hearts.
4. Punch out 2 holes for arms and 2 holes for legs with the single hole punch. String 1 pipe cleaner through the armholes and 1 pipe cleaner through the leg holes.
4. Invite kids to decorate their heart buddy by gluing eyes to it and drawing a mouth on it with a black marker.
5. If desired, turn this craft into a Valentine by gluing a blank white heart to the back of the Heart Buddy. Next, use double-sided tape or glue to secure the “Happy Valentine’s Day” template to the back of the Heart Buddy.
This craft is an easy class party station! Simply swap the paint for markers, crayons, or colored pencils. Such a fun and easy Valentine’s Day activity for kids!
Save This Craft
Don’t forget to save this craft on Pinterest for later! Be sure you are following along with Fireflies and Mud Pies here.