In this post, learn how to make Giant Popsicle Stick Macaroni Penguins, an adorable and fun winter art project for kids of all ages.
Giant Craft Stick Macaroni Penguins
My youngest son adores penguins, so it didn’t surprise me when he asked to make a penguin craft during afternoon art time the other day. I had been itching to use our new giant craft sticks, so his desire to make penguins was perfect timing!
The giant craft sticks paired with felt, wiggly eyes, and newspaper makes this winter craft whimsical and fun.
To Make This Penguin Craft You Will Need
- Giant craft sticks (1.25 in x 10 in)
- Mini craft sticks (2 1/2 in x 3/8 in)
- Black acrylic paint
- Satin Mod Podge
- Large wiggly eyes
- Black, orange, and yellow felt, craft foam, or construction paper
- Old magazines or newspapers
- Tacky craft glue
Directions for Popsicle Stick Penguin Craft
1. After gathering supplies, align 3 giant craft sticks. Squeeze a line of glue down 1 mini craft stick, then lay it over the giant craft sticks. Repeat with a second mini craft stick, so that each trio of giant craft sticks is secured by 2 mini craft sticks.
Allow the glue to dry completely.
2. When the glue is dry, flip the craft sticks over and paint them black. While the black paint is drying, use scissors to cut an oval from the page of an old magazine or newspaper.
3. When the paint is dry, spread Mod Podge over the giant craft sticks. Lay the newspaper oval on top, then press it down with a brush dipped in Mod Podge.
4. While the Mod Podge is drying, cut an orange beak, orange feet, yellow feathers, and black wings from the felt. When the Mod Podge is dry, glue all of the penguin’s body parts to the wood with tacky craft glue.
5. If desired, glue a loop of ribbon to the back of the penguin so it can be used as an ornament or hung on doors and walls!
Isn’t this penguin craft so cute? Pair it with some penguin books for a fun-filled afternoon!
More Winter Crafts for Kids
This paper mitten craft includes a mitten template, making it an easy and fun winter crafts for kids at home or school!
Kids of all ages will enjoy using our printable snowman pattern, twigs, felt, and a snowflake paper punch to create a simple and fun paper snowman craft.
This melted snowman in a jar is such a fun winter sensory activity for kids!
Save This Craft
Don’t forget to save this craft on Pinterest for later! Be sure you are following along with Fireflies and Mud Pies here.