Are you looking for healthy breakfast recipe ideas? Start the day off right with Cheese and Veggie Egg Bake, a delicious vegetarian egg casserole for busy on-the-go mornings.
Related: How to Make Cold Brew Coffee at Home
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of the happy egg co.. All opinions are 100% mine.
Cheese and Veggie Egg Bake Recipe
Somewhere between changing my thousandth diaper and washing my baby’s millionth load of onesies, I began considering a hot cup of coffee a good breakfast. Which is ironic, because if you knew me pre-kids, you would remember how I was always adamant about eating a healthy breakfast before tackling the day. This year, I’m making breakfast a priority again…but there’s a catch. It has to be easy.
My solution? Bake a protein and nutrient-rich veggie breakfast casserole once, then enjoy the leftovers all week! It’s delicious, simple, and reheats in the microwave beautifully. Make this egg bake ahead to sit overnight in the refrigerator so it’s ready for company or busy mornings.
Paired with toast, fresh fruit, and orange juice, this cheese and veggie egg bake recipe is a nourishing breakfast that helps start the day off right.
How Do You Make Egg Bake?
1. First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a glass pie dish with cooking spray. If you have seasoned cast irons pans, this is a great recipe to use them with.
Related: The Best Chocolate Chip Muffins
2. Chop half the asparagus into small pieces. Do the same with half of the tomatoes and the entire small onion. I enjoyed using an assortment of red, yellow, and orange cherry tomatoes.
3. Next, dump the raw veggies into the prepared pie dish or seasoned cast iron pan.
Related: How to Make Gluten Free Granola
4. Sprinkle 2 handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese (about 2 cups) over the chopped vegetables, then set aside.
5. Next, crack 8 large eggs into a medium-sized dish.
I used gorgeous brown eggs from the happy egg co., a free-range egg brand whose mission is to make humanely raised eggs available to everyone. The happy egg co. is the first commercial free-range egg producer in the U.S. to be certified by the American Humane Association™.
Their hormone-free hens are free to roam on family-run free-range farms and have access to 8 acres of open pasture to scratch, peck, flap, and live a natural life.
Aren’t they gorgeous?
6. Whisk 8 tablespoons of milk into the eggs. I prefer to use creamy whole milk in egg recipes.
7. Pour the egg mixture over the fresh veggies and cheese.
8. Place the dish or pan into a hot oven, then bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese and veggie egg bake is puffed and set.
Note: If you are using a glass pie dish, you may need to increase your cook time by 10–15 minutes. The pie dish will be filled to the brim with delicious egg bake goodness, but it puffs up beautifully and doesn’t overflow out of the dish.
9. Remove the savory, healthy egg bake from the oven and allow it to cool for several minutes before cutting it into slices and seasoning with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve hot with buttery toast, hashbrowns, and fresh fruit!
Cover and store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3–4 days.
How Do You Reheat Egg Bake?
Begin by placing a slice of egg bake on a clean, dry dish. Cover the egg bake with a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave on high for 1–2 minutes or until hot.
Help! My Egg Bake is Watery!
When you cut into your finished egg bake, you may notice liquid on the bottom of the pie dish. Tomatoes and high moisture veggies, such as onions, can make egg bakes and egg casseroles watery.
If this is a problem for you, consider sauteing the vegetables and tomatoes to reduce moisture. Then prepare the egg bake as directed.
- 1 bunch of asparagus, chopped
- 1 box of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half and half
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a glass pie dish with cooking spray.
- Chop half the asparagus into small pieces. Do the same with half of the tomatoes and the entire small onion.
- Sprinkle 2 handfuls of mozzarella cheese (about 2 cups) over the chopped vegetables, then set aside.
- Crack 8 eggs into a medium-sized dish.
- Whisk 8 tablespoons of whole milk into the eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies and cheese.
- Place the pan into a hot oven, and bake for 30–40 minutes until the egg bake is puffed and set.
- Cool for several minutes before serving with fresh fruit, toast, and orange juice.
You can also choose to lightly sautee the tomatoes and veggies before putting together the egg bake.