Last week at the library, I was skimming through the book, Hands on Crafts for Kids: 20-Minute Crafts, and a beautiful rainbow suncatcher caught my eye. My oldest, who is a fan of rainbows, liked it too and asked if we could make one for St. Patrick’s Day.
To make a Rainbow Suncatcher, you will need:
- 6 white chenille stems
- faceted plastic beads (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple)
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- scissors and wire cutters
- fishing line
1. Being by stringing red beads on 1 chenille stem. Continue with every color, using 1 chenille stem/color.
2. When the beading is complete, bend all of the chenille stems into a “U” shape. Arrange the chenille stems as a rainbow on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Make sure that the chenille stems are as close together as possible and that the beads touch in several locations (you might need to remove beads from some of the chenille stems). Using the wire cutters, trim the tips so that the rainbow has an even edge.
3. Place the cookie sheet into a cold oven and set to bake at 350 for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes at 350, you will notice that the beads have melted and fused together. Turn the oven off and allow the cookie sheet to cool completely inside of the oven.
4. Tie a loop with the fishing line through the top of the arc and hang in a sunny window!
Bright and cheery, I can’t help but smile when I walk past them every day!
This post has been featured: