In this easy step-by-step tutorial and video, learn how to make a classic Candy Train from Life Savers, peppermints, Hershey’s Kisses, and more. This fun Christmas craft is easy for kids to make at school, holiday parties, birthday parties, and home. It looks so cute hanging from Christmas trees and gifts!
How to Make a Candy Train Engine
Ahhh…Christmas vacation. A lovely time when parents and kids can unwind, relax, and…”Mom! I’m bored!”
Yup. That happens around day two here. Mostly I just let them be bored, but I do have a couple of easy holiday crafts up my sleeve for this week. Shared below is one of my favorites, classic candy trains.
To make this blast from the past, head to your local dollar store for supplies or order in bulk through the links below. You can also find classic rainbow Life Savers inside of the Life Savers Storybooks located in the holiday section of major stores.
I like to put all of the candy in little paper cups so kids can work independently!
Candy Train Materials
- Life Savers Hard Candy
- Hershey’s Kisses Milk Chocolates
- Juicy Fruit Original Gum, 5 stick
- Rolo Chewy Caramels, holiday variety
- Starlight Mints
- Low-temperature hot glue gun or Glue Dots
Life Savers Candy Train Directions
1. Use a low-temperature glue gun to glue the Life Savers to the gum. There is a handy red stripe on the roll of Life Savers that kids can use as a guide.
Tip: Use Glue Dots if your child is too young to handle a hot glue gun.
2. Next, glue a Hershey’s Kiss and two Rolos to the top of the Life Savers.
3. Last, glue four peppermint candies to the gum (two on each side of the gum).
Related: How to Make Candy Cane Cookies
5. Your cute DIY candy train is complete!
Easy peasy and kids love it! They can even make a cargo car with just the gum and mints for their train to pull!
Save This Craft
Don’t forget to save this craft on Pinterest for later! Be sure you are following along with Fireflies and Mud Pies here.
- 1 roll Life Savers Hard Candy
- 1 Hershey's Kiss Milk Chocolate
- 1 pack Juicy Fruit Original Gum, 5 stick
- 2 Rolo Chewy Caramels, holiday
- 4 Starlight Mints
- Use a low-temperature glue gun to glue the Life Savers roll to the gum.
- Next, glue one Hershey’s Kiss and two Rolos to the top of the Life Savers roll.
- Last, glue four peppermint candies to the gum (two on each side of the gum).
- If desired, secure ribbon to the top of the candy train to make it an ornament.
- Your easy and fun candy train is complete!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.