Sensory bins are one of the best creative tools for learning and play. In this post, learn how easy and fun it is to make a Kinetic Sand Dinosaur Sensory Bin that will invite fine motor growth and playful learning about dinosaurs.
If your child loves dinosaurs, why not combine that passion while working on sensory skills, too? Keeping a sensory bin at home filled with your child’s favorite dinosaur toys is a great way to develop imagination and creativity. Sensory bins are not only great for engaging your child in fine motor activities, but they’re also really awesome for sparking the desire to play more with toys and loose-part items they already have.
Why Are Sensory Bins Important?
Sensory bins are a clever DIY activity for many reasons. Not only are they fun and can be considered “messy play” for kids, but they also invite kids to use their hands and eyes to learn, play, and make new discoveries.
Challenging and developing your young child’s sensory skills is an important part of their growth and development. Working on these skills with a sensory bin full of toys just makes it that much more fun!
How to Make a Dinosaur Sensory Bin
Here’s the cool part about making a dinosaur sensory bin—it’s not hard at all! In fact, while you have the option to set it up all on your own, you can actually let your child help out as well.
Some children love being able to set up crafts and activities on their own as it helps to grow their confidence and curiosity. Plus, if they’re a part of making something really cool then that likely means that they’re going to be really excited to dig into it right away.
You’ll find everything that you need below to get started on making this dinosaur sensory bin. It’ll be ready in a few moments of time!
Related: Dinosaur Dig Activity for Kids
Supplies Needed for Dinosaur Sensory Bin
Directions for Sensory Bin
1. Fill a small plastic bin with Kinetic Beach Sand. Kinetic Beach Sand has a more coarse texture than the original Kinetic Sand, and it does not stick as much to toys.
2. Arrange river rocks and plastic trees around the sensory bin.
3. Set up the toy dinosaurs around the sensory bin.
4. Your Dinosaur Sensory Bin is complete! Here are some ideas for play:
- Count the dinosaurs.
- Make a dinosaur craft.
- Sort the dinosaurs!
- Draw or write about the dinosaurs.
- Act out a dinosaur scene together.
- Watch a dinosaur movie.
- Read a book about dinosaurs.
- Bury the dinosaurs and excavate them with scoopers!
- Make dinosaur tracks in the sand.
- Hide the dinosaurs in an “egg,” then hatch them with a golf tee and wooden mallet.
More Sensory Bins for Kids
- Pom Pom Sensory Bin
- Bird Sensory Bin
- Harvest Sensory Bin
- Halloween Sensory Bin
- Sticky Sand Sensory Bin
- Bug Sensory Bin
Dinosaur Sensory Bin
Kids of all ages will love playing with this easy and fun dinosaur sensory bin. It's perfect for home or school!
- Plastic bin
- Kinetic Beach Sand
- Plastic dinosaurs and trees
- River rocks
- Fill a small plastic bin with Kinetic Beach Sand. Kinetic Beach Sand has a more coarse texture than the original Kinetic Sand, and it does not stick as much to toys.
- Arrange river rocks and plastic trees around the sensory bin.
- Set up the toy dinosaurs around the sensory bin.
- Your Dinosaur Sensory Bin is complete!
You can also use the original Kinetic Sand. Kinetic Beach Sand has a more coarse texture than the original Kinetic Sand, and it does not stick as much to toys.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Want even more?
Make sure to follow on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for more easy crafts, activities, recipes, and parenting tips. And don’t forget to subscribe to our emails.