Halloween season is just around the corner, so it’s the perfect time to get into the spooky spirit of the season. Whether you’re planning a Halloween party or looking for a fun way to surprise your friend, neighbor, partner, or child, a Boo Basket is a fantastic idea!
In this post, we’ll show you how to create the ultimate Boo Basket filled with treats, tricks, and eerie excitement. Get ready to learn the art of crafting the best Halloween gift and starting this fun new tradition.
RELATED: Five Fun Family Halloween Games
What is a Halloween Boo Basket?
A Boo Basket is little basket or container that is filled with Halloween treats such as books, candy, toys, or festive apparel. Think of it like an Easter basket…but for the month of October! Creating and giving one is a great way to offer Halloween cheer to a loved one!
Personally, I’ve been creating small Halloween gift baskets to give to my kids on Halloween morning for the past fifteen years—long before social media dubbed them viral Boo Boxes!
You probably have been too! 😂
What Do You Put in a Boo Basket?
The answer to this question depends on who you are making the Halloween Boo Basket for—you want to fill it with everyone’s favorite things! Shared below are some fun ideas:
- Seasonal board books
- Halloween-themed teethers
- Plush Halloween playsets
- Halloween puzzles
- Spooky rattles
- Glowing bathtub toys
- Fall snacks
- Festive onesies
- Pumpkin hat
- A new fall outfit
- Halloween books
- Craft kits, Halloween activities, or seasonal art supplies
- Halloween PEZ Candy Dispenser
- Fidgets and toys, such as seasonal LEGOs
- Decorative door hanger
- Halloween cups, bowls, and plates
- Fall-themed treats, such as Pumpkin Spice Oreos
- Halloween shirt
- Stuffed animals, such as Squishmallows or Beanie Boos
- Glow sticks
- Halloween pajamas
- Magical-themed chapter books
- Themed makeup, chapstick, and nail polish
- Bags of candy
- Festive shirt or sweatshirt
- Mini Halloween lights
- Glow necklaces
- Mask or costume
- Halloween pajamas
- Tickets to a concert or sporting event
- New books
- Pumpkin-scented candles
- Halloween bath bomb
- Candy Corn
- Makeup and skincare, such as a fall-scented lotion or a face mask
- Homemade treats, such as pumpkin muffins
- Gift cards
- Fall or Halloween decor
- Plants in a spooky season planter, such as a skull or pumpkin
- Fleece blanket
- Fuzzy socks
- Halloween toys
- Festive bandanas
- Pet costume
- Halloween collar
- Pumpkin biscuits
- New brush
- Fall-themed enrichment
- Halloween blanket
- Halloween bow tie
Tip: Begin shopping for seasonal items in early September.
How to Make a Fun Boo Basket
Creating a Boo Basket is the perfect way to spread Halloween joy and bring a little magic to the season. With a thoughtful selection of treats, spooky basket ideas, decorations, and a personal touch, you can craft the best Halloween gift that will leave your friends and family members feeling loved.
Follow along below to see how I created an adorable autumn Boo Basket for my friend.
STEP 1: Choose your basket. The container you choose for your Boo Basket sets the tone for the entire gift. You can shop or thrift for a traditional wicker or cloth basket, a spooky cauldron, Halloween pails, cardboard treat boxes, plastic buckets, or even a reusable trick-or-treat bag. Let your creativity shine because it’s all part of the fun!
Because my simple Boo Basket is only going to contain 3 items, I chose a small black wire basket from Target.
RELATED: Mummy Cookies
STEP 2: Shop for or make the items for your Halloween baskets. I shopped through Amazon and my local Target to pick up a basket, a pumpkin candle, a cozy autumn book called The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic, and ingredients to make homemade Salted Caramel Apple Dip.
STEP 3: Arrange the small gifts inside the basket. If you desire, fill the bottom of the basket with decorative shredded paper, crumbled tissue paper, or fabric. As with filling any basket, place large and heavy items towards the back. Arrange smaller items towards the front so that all of them are visible.
I lined my basket with a soft flannel scarf from Target Dollar Spot. Now my basket has 4 gift items! 😉
STEP 5: Give the Boo Basket. Now for the fun part—give your friend the basket! Whether you’re leaving it anonymously on a doorstep like “Secret Santa” or gifting it in person, the anticipation and excitement will be unforgettable. What a fun surprise to make, give, and receive!
Take it Further
Shared below are some extra fun ideas to help make giving Boo Boxes your new favorite tradition:
- Hide the Boo Basket for your child to find on Halloween!
- Get the whole neighborhood involved! Heidi over at Happiness is Homemade is offering free You’ve Been Booed printables.
- Make your own Boo Basket for fall season self-care.
- Play You’ve Been Boozed! In this version of the Boo Basket, my friend Carrie from Making Lemonade Blog explains how to start the fun tradition of sharing your favorite adult drinks with neighbors.
- Love a baker? A gamer? A creative? Craft a themed Boo Basket filled with curated items to fuel their passion.
- Share some Halloween goodies with your child’s teacher! Shannon from Crafty Mama in Me will show you how to make a Teacher Boo Kit.
- Donate Boo Baskets to your local assisted living residence.
- Friends with a coffee lover? This Coffee Boo Bucket from Alaina over at Bullock’s Buzz is perfect!
- Ship a Boo Box to a long-distance friend.
- Challenge yourself to fill your Halloween box with only homemade or thrifted items!
- Make a Halloween Boo Bin for sensory play!
- Make a Paper Jack-O’-Lantern Craft kit to put inside!
Save This Post
Save this idea on Pinterest using the image below!